Col. H.S. McComb, President of the railroad from New Orleans to Cairo – known as the New Orleans, St. Louis, and Chicago Railroad Company, employed the Reverend Robert Proctor to labor as an evangelist in McComb City for the purpose of organizing and building a Presbyterian church. On February 22, 1875, a legal corporation was organized named the First Presbyterian Church, of McComb, Mississippi.
The cornerstone of the church is by the main entrance. Facing Delaware Avenue the stone reads "J.J. White Memorial Presbyterian Church". On the Third Street side of the stone it reads "Erected A D1921." Just above the large stone on the Third Street side a smaller stone was placed which reads “Jan. AD 1876” This came from the original building of the First Presbyterian Church of McComb City, Mississippi. That building was moved a block west on Delaware and is now First Christian Church.
Actually, there is no record in the church minutes about the construction of the present house of worship. However, it is well known that the children of Capt. J.J. White built the church and gave it to the congregation as a memorial to their father in 1921.